Sunday, May 18, 2014

CHIRP and Ubuntu 12.4

Why not? I've got a Chromebook running Linux, a programming cable for the Baofeng UV-B5 HT, and all I needed was the program, which just happens to be open source software recommended on Linux.

After installing from apt-get, the version was so old, what was the point of ever putting it there. Maybe more recent repos have newer versions. Anyway, d/l'd the latest tar, extracted it and ran it, although I was getting an error,

"could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0: [Errno 13] Permission denied:"

and the documentation I could find was either run the program as root [wrong], or add the user to the dialup group. This was partially right, the correct group was the serial group, and all is well.

Now I have a Baofeng programmed with all the repeaters in the area, around 62 of them. The CHIRP program allows imports and exports from CSV files, and downloads and uploads to and from the radio. I may have used CHIRP previously on Windows on a P25 GRE scanner I used to own, but it's always nice not to use Window$.

No comments: